Friday 27 April 2012

Third Year Experiments

Been thinking about what I could look at in my third year projects. I don't feel like I've ever experimented with using print properly. I always seem to shy away from it, and feel some how scared of it. I'm not really sure why, because something I love doing in life is finding a beautiful print, whether its a framed wall piece or fabric. So it seems logical to base my work around something I enjoy.
But at the same time I'm arguing with myself if third year is a good time to experiment with something where my strengths possibly don't lie. As I honestly don't know, having never tried it properly. However, the other side of me is thinking why not? Its an area to explore, you've got the equipment to do it at your disposal and if you don't use them, you don't know when you're going to have access again.
From giving it extra thought, I'm beginning to think that I will look into creating prints. Maybe my way into prints is starting with the idea of stitching which I know I'm comfortable with using, and turning it into a digital print image or perhaps transferred on to a screen.
I feel very aware that next year is my final one, and then its into the real world. I'm also very aware that when people ask me what I want to do or if I know where I'm heading, that my answer is usually along the lines of "I have no idea". The only thing I think I know, and I'm not even sure of that, is I want to go and work for someone to start off. Instead of setting up myself as a label. I don't really know anything about the industry, so I would rather get to know it from the inside than stepping into it completely blind. But I feel getting a feel for creating patterns for prints is a good way into the design industry, as a print can be added to various products not just the textiles.
So yeah, that's my train of thoughts at the moment for year three shenanigans, although we haven't actually been given any briefs or directions. So who knows what will happen.

No comments:

Post a Comment