Saturday 19 May 2012

Reconnecting with Alzheimer's Patients


Found this really interesting to hear about. My family has a history of Alzheimer's on both sides, and although no one in my family has it currently, there is a fairly large possibility that any of my Grand-Parents or my Parents, or even myself eventually, could develop the disease.
What really bought it home for me, was when my Mum found out her best friend from school, the same age as my mum (mid-fifties) had developed early on-set of Alzheimer's. Usually, when you think of this disease you automatically picture elderly men & women. Not fifty year olds, with still a large stretch of life still ahead of them. Obviously my Mum was upset, she had thought something was up just simply from not receiving a birthday card from her, when she was usually one to send it in good time. Its one thing to think she's properly just to been busy to find out that actually... She might not be able to remember who you are. How do you respond to something like that? If you visit its a mix between you being sadden by the fact that they may greet you as a perfect stranger, or distress is cause for the patient because they don't understand why they can't remember who you are.
Its such a horrible disease. In a completely different league, I frustrated when I forget a little thing like to pick up milk from the shop or something insignificant like that. Its impossible to imagine being unable to remember a whole sector of your life, filled with memories and people you love.
One thing I do know about Alzheimer's suffers is they live in the past. From hearing stories of my Great Grand-Parents who suffered, they often disappeared and went wandering, to be found heading to areas they use to live as a child or when they were first married. Confused by why they were where they lived now.
But its good to know they are finding ways to keep families close, even if its in a different way then they're use to.

No comments:

Post a Comment